Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day #24

Day #3 for Colossians 1:9-11...

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,[a]10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, with joy.

When reading about verse 11 in Barclay's Daily Study Bible Series, I learned a lot abou the patiences and joy referrenced in this scripture. 

The word patience used is translated in Greek as hupomone. It isn't the type of patience we would normally think of.  Having patience in letting life move in it's own pace.  Instead, it means the ability to bear things, but the ability to turn what we bear into glory. Barclay calls it a CONQUERING patience. The ability to tackle what life has for us and turn it into glory.

He then describes JOY as a radiant and sunny-hearted attitude of life. That is one of the best descriptions of joy I've come across. As Christians we are called to have joy in any circumstance. We are to be RADIANT.  I'm challenged to be that way all the time.

A prayer I recently read...

"Make me, O Lord, victorious over every circumstance; make me patient with every person; and withal give me the joy which no circumstance and no man will ever take away from me.'

I can't help but think of some of my brothers and sisters in Swaziland who are sunshine in such a dark place.  I long to be like they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment