Saturday, March 9, 2013

Day #22

I'm planning on breaking this scripture down for a few days.  I think there is a great lesson in this scripture, and I really want to know it!

Colossians 1 9-11

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,[a]10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, with joy.

In Barclays' commentary he suggests that the greatest lesson about prayer request is in this passage. In these verse we see two request. The discernment of God's will and the power to perform that will. Paul was praying this for his friends, kinda a cool thought.  

The kind of spiritual wisdom used in verse 9 comes from the Greek word, sophia.  It means the knowldege of first principles. The word understanding is suesis, which in Greek means critical knowledge.  So, Paul is praying for his friends that they would have great knowledge in the principles of Christianity and that they could apply it to the world.  

I love this. I love the words.  Lord, help me to have spiritual wisdom and understanding of your will. May I stop and listen to you instead of feeding you the will I have for my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment