Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Season of Lent

      
          I've had this idea turning in my head for a few weeks. After a lot of dots being connected, I've decided to go on a scripture journey this season of Lent. I've debated this because I have always kept my fasting 'secret,' considering it a very intimate issue between me and The Lord.  Should this journey be something I make public?  Today at NNU's chapel Julene challenged us to give up something that would better our community. So, I feel a peace about 'going public.'  I have hopes that God will use this to glorify His kingdom and better our community. I hope it is daily encouragement...even it's just for me.
         As long as I can remember (at least since college) I have been praying for a hunger for scripture. That I would know scripture. That it would run in my blood and always be in my thinking. I'm horrible at memorizing things word for word. I know scripture says something but can't tell you where. I just have a bad memory in that regard. I read scripture and often find myself deeply moved (and sometimes confused, ha). 
       My plan is to take a new scripture each day and meditate on it daily. I will post the scripture and maybe a few words.  I'm not a theologian, I have horrible grammar, and I can't spell. But I have a desire to know the Word of God! I feel this is a way that can help me know scripture, hold me accountable, and a way to share with the world God's goodness.

 So here we go...

     Today's scripture is one that I have recently memorized and find myself reflecting on it often, I mean a lot!

" It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then, and do not be burdened again by the yoke of slavery." Galations 5:1

Here is a picture of a yoke...  



It is used to keep animals together as they pull loads of stuff. This is such a powerful image!  Picture yourself next to what you are inslaved by.  What would your posture be like wearing this? For me, it changes all the time.  As a new mom, somedays it's self-pity that I'm not able to be as independent as I'd like to be. Christ came to set me free from this yoke of slavery. Praise His Name!! He alone can meet my needs and equip me with what I need to break free. May you draw near to the Lord this Lent season, and experience Him in a new way.  You are loved!

2 comments:

  1. Go Amy, go! Appreciate your vulnerability. Excited to read about you journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading Amy! Thanks for sharing. God is good, so so good!

    ReplyDelete