Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day # 4


I've been reading this book ...


It's been a great read for me.  It's challenging and eye opening.  Francis Chan writes about the 'forgotten God'- meaning the Holy Spirit. Today's verse is something I want embedded in my thinking (well all the ones I'm focusing on I want embedded in me...isn't that the point!).

Today's scripture I'm going to write about for two days. Because technically it's three verses and I really want to memorize it...  John 14: 15-17

"If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you."

I'm just focusing on the first two sentences. The first sentence is so straight forward.  Sometimes I feel like it is  slap in the face.  It's so black and white, if you love me...keep my commands.  Always a great reminder of how we who profess we are believers should live.

As far as the second sentence, the word advocate makes me so delighted. Maybe because I am a counselor for kiddos and I love advocating for them (and my adult clients). It is so rewarding when clients become empowered. I picture the Holy Spirit in this role;  sticking up for us, encouraging us, supporting us, wanting what's best for us...it's a cool thought! Actually, it's a very humbling thought.  We are each so special that God the Father gave us an advocate.  And He is with us forever.  Being our  cheerleader, cheering us on to love others as ourselves.




No comments:

Post a Comment