Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day #13

Today's scripture is one that I have memorized already, but I want it to be my backbone.  It may take me a little bit, but I eventually get it all out. I'm sure you are the same.  It is Galatians 5: 22-23...

'But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness. and self-control. Against such things there is no law.'

I'm sorry I keep referencing 'Forgotten God,' it's just good stuff! It wasn't until reading that book that I connected a few new dots. Maybe I'm the only one who viewed the fruit of the spirit as Christlike characteristics we all aim to have. Some of us are better than others in different areas. We should all try and act in these ways.

While there is truth to that, I've been missing the entire picture.  When we surrender our lives, the Spirit fills us. So, when we are filled we get all these characteristics.  How did I not connect these dots? Yesterday's scripture and today's weave together perfectly.  God has equipped us with what we need to have this fruit and to produce this fruit.

In Forgotten God Chan asks the reader to look over these traits.  Do we as Christians posses each one to a supernatural degree? He writes that he is disturbed when we are not really bothered that God living in us has not made much of a noticeable difference. Most churchgoers are content to find a bit of peace (or a little bit of kindness, self-control, ect...) , not the Peace of God that surpasses all understanding.  Honestly, it disturbs me too!

When we as believers exhibit these fruits in ways that surpasses the world's understanding...that's when the world notices. What a challenge. Praise the Lord for His grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment