Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moments of Impact


            In past blogs we have written about The Luke Commission, a medical team holding clinics in rural areas. I (Amy) have been meeting with the counselors on staff once a week to have a ‘debriefing’ session of their weeks work. Even though we have spent time at clinics, the last clinic we went to was different. For the first time I sat alongside the counselors as they interacted with each patient.
            Each patient that is tested for HIV meets with a counselor.  During this time their status is revealed. I’ve tested many for HIV during a clinic, but never told them their status. Needless to say my time spent with these patients was full moments of impact not only for each patient, but also for me. From lunchtime until we loaded up at midnight, I sat arm to arm with individuals who approach the human experience with boldness. Never in a million years did I think I would be telling people their HIV status.  My heart experienced a new kind of compassion.
            Not only did I learn from the individuals who were positive, but also from the individuals who tested negative.  The power in the ownership of their status, whether positive or negative was inspiring. My prayer is that each individual will grasp and live out the information discussed in regards to further transmission.

Andy's girlfriend from the clinic...


He was her advocate for a new wheelchair!

No comments:

Post a Comment