Thursday, April 1, 2010

Legacy of Love

           This past week I (Amy) was able to share in a special time with my family in California.  A week and a half ago my sweet Grandma Jilbert (my mom's mom) went to the hospital. Through waves of emotions and events, her children decided to send her home with hospice. I purchased a flight and was out there within 24 hours.  Little did I know how precious this time would be.  I sat by her side: reading scripture, singing, and caring for her in many ways.
           On Saturday evening March 27th, her life long friends (Jim and Dolly Goss) came by to visit. He prayed and we all sang "It will be worth it all."  At the end of the song Grandma opened her eyes, and within minutes took her last breath. We were all by her side crying and cheering her on as she went to be with the Lord. Her memorial service was inspiring!  Many stories of how she loved people so naturally, and how through her effortless love they came to know Christ. Jim Goss spoke of how he became a Christian while attending my Great Grandpa's church where my Grandparents discipiled he and his wife.  He then became the youth pastor of that church.  While he was the youth pastor Fred Evans was in his youth group, and now we are working along side Fred Evans in Swaziland!  Wow!
         As silly as it sounds I'm so grateful this happened now, and not while we are in Swaziland.  Through this hard time God is still meeting the desires of my heart.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to see my family before leaving and I was able to see them.  In the midst of seeing my family I was reminded of the Christian heritage I have been a part of and how I am caring on the legacy as we travel to Africa.  My Grandmother was a lover of mission work and was so proud that I am going.

1 comment:

  1. Andy & Amy we are so excited about what lies ahead of you. Also a little envious of you going and not us but we do hope Lord willing we will be able to come for a time in March 2011. Remember you are in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless you both.
    Will & Karis stemen

    ReplyDelete