Friday, April 30, 2010

Honored and Humbled

    As Amy and I were commissioned at BFC this past Sunday, I couldn't help but think back to when I first arrived at Bethany First Church in 1999. I was sixteen years old, my mom had just died from Cancer and I was at a very low point in my life. The last thing I wanted to do was deal with my mother's death. I did not want to feel the pain so I found myself doing all sorts of things trying to escape. I was getting into trouble, hurting myself and my loved ones. I got to a point where I didn't really care about anything. I made decisions that were stupid and the fear of consequences wasn't enough to prevent them. There were many times when I would actually try and behave better, trying to be good. I was successful at these attempts for a short time, but found that I really couldn't do it by myself. I was too weak.
    
    All of this to say, I was a mess. Until one day, when Jesus came to me in a very real, supernatural way. I know he doesn't always work like this but that day, with me, he did. I felt that he was giving me another chance. I felt that if I continued to live in sin, something horrible would happen to me, perhaps death. I was very scared until I made a commitment to surrender completely to Him that night. Immediately after doing this, I was filled with His Spirit and was "on fire" for Him. I was so excited about what He had done and couldn't stop telling everyone! That was just the beginning of all that God has done in my life. Although I accepted Jesus when I was six years old (at Living Waters Churh of the Naz. in Swaziland), this was the first time I had surrendered to Him. I believe He has been there for me my entire life, I could here Him speak, I just wasn't obedient.
   
     I am truly humbled to be a part of the Swaziland Partnership. I know that I would not be given the privilege of serving if it weren't for Jesus and all the things he has done in my life. I hope that God will use my testimony as I share it in Swaziland. I am honored to represent the people at BFC and Lantana Community Fellowship. There is nothing Amy and I would rather be doing than serving this coming year! Thanks to everyone who has supported us and please continue to pray for us and the people of Swaziland.

2 comments:

  1. i've always been a fan of your testimony andy!!! you and amy are a strong couple. God will use you two, more than you will know on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, I'm so proud of the person you have become. I have always loved you like a brother but never been so proud of you as I am today!

    Amy, I'm so excited for your adventure and opportunity to use the education you have been working on! I want to hear all about it for I share the same interests!!

    Love you both! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete