Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Simple and Sweet

                               Our friend Thabiso, Mary, Sandziso, and Amy at the eye doctor.

            I (Amy) met Sandziso at Gigi's back in the July. Gigi's is the care point for orphan and vulnerable children that we spend a lot of time at. Children play games all the time. One day when I was there I noticed a little boy not playing in the games. I soon noticed that something was wrong with one of his eyes. It did not take long for me to fall in love with him. Visit after visit he would smile at me and come sit on my lap. Little did I know that this simple friendship would change my life.
After a chain of events we were able to take him to the only eye doctor in Swaziland. Our friend Thabiso came with us to translate. We were unsure of what to expect. Come to find out Sandziso's mother passed away two years ago. His step-mom Mary came with us to the doctor. Mary and her husband (Sandziso's dad) are both unemployed and live in an unsafe area, this is why he is called a vulnerable child.
The first of three visit was very emotional. I spent a lot of time fighting tears as I was being blessed experiencing numerous gifts. Precious gifts of watching Sandziso being brave during the eye exams, singing and coloring with him, building a relationship with Mary, hurdling over language barriers, experiencing Thabiso love on a fellow Swazi...the list could go on. A fun moment was after the the doctor when we went for ice cream. We explained that in America a lot of children get ice cream for being so brave. We all got milkshakes! The look on his face was priceless. He did not come up for air until the entire milkshake was gone.

After three visits our relationships grew and we learned that his eye never fully developed. He has very little vision in his weak eye and strong vision in the other. There is nothing that can be done. Cosmetic surgery could take place, but it would eventually return to its original condition. A good thing is this does not effect people socially in Swaziland as it would in America.

The last few times I've gone to Gigi's I've seen Sandziso playing in the games. I think it was rare the day I saw him sitting out. Maybe it happened that way so our relationship could build. He is a happy child and I am happier for knowing him!

1 comment:

  1. Love this Amy. Knowing you and your sweet and sensitive way with those who are "on the outskirts"...I have no doubt the Lord is using you in Sandizo's life...and that your friendship with Sandizo will forever change you as well. Love you and so proud of you and Andy for the ways you are serving Christ. You are heroes to me and so many.
    -KT

    ReplyDelete